COMMON GOOD JOURNEY
COMMON GOOD JOURNEY
Are you looking for ways to strengthen relationships in your community? Do you want to refresh the mission of your church post Covid and in a time of profound change? Do you want to discover new ways to build Common Good in your area?
Common Good Journey is a 4-part programme to help Christians rediscover their vocation in relation to place, collaborate with neighbours, contribute to civic renewal and put the Common Good into practice in community, workplace and every day life. No prior theological formation is required. A group of 12-20 people from a church can go on the journey, or do it together in partnership with neighbouring churches.
See below for more details and and how to get in touch
The journey is very flexible but typically runs over about 12-16 weeks and consists of:
- PART 1: Exploring (helping you discern your goals to suit your context and building a group who will journey together).
- PART 2: Beginning (a biblical grounding in six 60 minute sessions, using our resource The Word and the Common Good). Available free to download here
- PART 3: Building (a one-day in-person training workshop to motivate your group to build local relationships, learn about the Common Good in practice and discern how the Holy Spirit is calling you and your church in the neighbourhood. Hosted by you and led by a facilitator booked via T4CG).
- PART 4: Living (six 45 minute sessions to help your group continue the Common Good Journey together and develop skills that deepen your ability to build the Common Good in your area, helping to revitalise your church's mission. Available to groups who complete Part 3).
Part 2 works well as a standalone resource, while all four together serve as a Common Good journey. The material is shaped by T4CG's unique expertise in neighbourhood mission across the Christian traditions, and informed by the wisdom of Catholic social thought, in accessible Common Good language.
We have recently changed the name of this programme, from Here Now Us People to Common Good Journey.
The vision of Common Good Journey
- Helping churches, organisations and their people become better rooted in their community, releasing their gifts to be Christ's hands and feet where they live and work
- Addressing mission drift, helping the people of God rediscover their distinctive Christian vocation in relation to place
- Developing a relational culture of love and friendship that puts people and communities first
- Giving people the resources to build the Common Good in all aspects of their lives
- Reweaving a sense of family and belonging in order to resist individualism and healing divisions
- Building durable local relationships between people and organisations for mutual wellbeing
- Fostering social solidarity to ensure that nobody and no community is left behind
Click the image below right to hear how Common Good Journey fits into T4CG's vision for the renewal of the church.
How it works
T4CG's project leader provides support for you and your church or organisation to go on this journey. This includes coaching for your local host, a 'train the trainer' session for your local facilitator to run Part 3, and accompaniment to ensure the journey complements your unique circumstances. Once you have run it with our help, you will be able to run it again and again!
Who is using it
This year, we are working with five strategic partners to run the programme in twenty locations across England. This year's partners include dioceses, a large charity and clusters of parishes. The programme has been evaluated by Theos, our independent evaluation partner. The findings were very encouraging. Download a summary of their report by clicking the yellow image below left.
If you would like to explore the possibilities for your church, network, diocese or deanery, download brochure here and please email Sean Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be delighted to hear from you.